While stone countertops are trusted and preferred for their long-lasting durability, there are certain practices that are necessary to maintaining the exquisite beauty of your granite countertops, marble countertops or other natural stone surface. In a recent article, House Beautiful magazine shares the five secrets to keeping stone countertops in prime condition straight from kitchen designer Florence Perchuck, who has over 38-years of experience in the kitchen industry. Here are the five things that Perchuck believe consumers should know about stone countertops.
- Spills need to be wiped up immediately so as to prevent stains caused by liquids penetrating the surface.
- A proper seal can be tested by ensuring that water beads and forms droplets on the stone surface.
- Different stones require different sealing, cleaning and maintaining regimens; for example, marble is more porous than granite and, therefore, requires more frequent resealing.
- Always get a second opinion on sealing and cleaning products to make sure they are safe and effective on your particular stone surface.
- Do not assume that black stone surfaces (as opposed to white or other light colored stone surfaces) will be easier to keep a perfectly clean appearance; it is black stone surfaces, in fact, that show the most fingerprints.
A good stone cleaner is the key to daily maintenance of stone countertops. According to House Beautiful article, Perchuck explains that it is always best to get a second opinion on stone countertop products, however, Perchuck does directly recommend StoneTech as an accredited sealing and cleaning system for natural stone countertops. To learn more about StoneTech products and other maintenance do’s and don’ts, please
Photo via House Beautiful